Wednesday, May 2, 2012

2nd tutoring session

In my second opportunity to tutor I believe I experienced a few more issues than the first time. I actually had the chance to work with the same students I worked with the last time.They were both basically finished writing the assignment we worked on in the previous session. The problem was that the second student did not have a chance to correct any of the things I advised her to work on the first time I helped her. It was kind of difficult to explain to her why a lot of her sentences were not right. Her sentence structure was a little diffuse but I was able to make her notice what was wrong by having her read her assignment outloud. This way she was able to understand that the sentences did not sound right and that they can be fixed in a clearer organized way. I reminded her that whoever was to read her paper did not know anything about the subject she was talking about therefore she needed to make the points in the sentences as clear as possible. The other student ended up doing the same thing because there was a few words that didn't connect with her actual meaning so she read the sentences outloud and saw the problem. I am pretty sure none of them had proof read their assignment because they both found grammatical mistakes they were not aware of. I had a tough time trying to split my attention between of them because it seemed to me like this time they both needed more help since the paper was already done while last time they were just creating a first draft.Besides the amount of time and attention it took I believe they were able to get something useful out of this session.

No comments:

Post a Comment