Wednesday, May 9, 2012

3rd tutoring session

In today's session I was helping out two different students that we were working on a CATW practice essay about the effects on fast food advertisement toward children. I found myself focused on one student a little more because it seemed like the other one was doing very well. I read the passage they were given and both of their responses to the writing assignment. The first student had very little issues in her paper .The only thing I advised her to work with was adding more possible solutions to the issue presented in the passage throughout the essay and to check for run on sentences.After that she started rewriting the essay and checking for more mistakes or things she did not like about it. I read the other student's paper and discovered she had too many isues therefore she took up most of my time and attention. She didn't provide a good summary of the passage, did not have enough examples to back up her claims, had problems with sentence structure and many other things. I decided to help her re-write the essay. One of the problems I encountered with this student was that she had trouble understanding why her sentences were wrong. Students usually pick up fast on what sounds wrong and right but since she wasn't very good in writing or speaking english this became a litlle hard for me. In the same paragraph she kept repeating that children learn to do what their parents do and then she would say children learn fast and do what they see their parents doing and etc. In order to make her see the difference from one choice of words to another I had to use a lot of examples myself for her to catch the hints. I started building sentences about the things that surrounded us at the moment in the classroom until she was able to get a sense of what I meant. When I checked on the first student's progress she had ended up writing a much better version of the paper she had. I noticed that both of them felt rushed because the practice exam was timed therefore they felt like they were in a hurry and had to write whatever came to mind as fast as possible. They both agreed with me and said that the timing affected their writing skills making the paper harder for them to write. Their professor suggested for us to point out some tutorials online that are available to them and tell them which one we thought they needed to work with. The first student recognized them right away and agreed with my choice. What I didn't like about the second student is that she didn't allow me to choose any for her beceause she was stubborn in saying I need them all because I dont know what Im doing. Every time I would suggest a change on her paper like using the word 'therefore' instead of 'so' or ending a sentence that was too long she would say "don't ask me just tell me what to write because you are the one who knows and I don't". I explained to her that just because I was there helping her that didn't make me right about everything. She was convinced that I had to make the choices on her paper because I was right and she was wrong. It was a very different experience but I'm still learning a lot of things and I still love helping them.

No comments:

Post a Comment